Thursday, February 28, 2013

Blog Review- Sylvie


        All week I have been reading blog posts written by students in our grade. All of them were pretty good and well written, but I think that Sylvie's blog post on Blonde Roots (http://thedaffodilgirl.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2013-01-25T05:09:00-08:00&max-results=7) was one of the best blogs I have read so far. The post is her most recent one on her blog, and although all of her posts are very good, this one stood out to me as the best. 
        I have never read this book, but it seems like it is really interesting. Sylvie did a really good job on describing the issue of body image and how it plays and huge role in the world--both currently, and hundreds of years ago. She talks about how today's body image is really important and how a lot of people care about the way they look and how other people look. I think that the constant stream of magazine and television stars looking like perfection has a huge impact on why people care about their image so much. Just like Sylvie described, the perfect body image can be different for everybody. The African people thought that being fat showed a form of wealth and that was beauty, while most people today think that being skinny is considered beautiful.

     This topic makes me think a lot about the picture books that we had to write in ELA. A lot of people wrote their picture books on social issues involving body image. I think that this is a really big problem, because doing things to make yourself look a certain way can be extremely wrong, and like Sylvie said, bad for your body’s health. Anorexia, Bulimia, and even rare—but still severe—methods of making yourself “more beautiful” like footbinding, can be extremely dangerous.
    
     This book seems really interesting and I think that I even want to read it now. This question probably dates back to thousands of years ago, but all throughout history people have used slaves and there have been people who are considered less than others, but my question is how were those two groups separated? What would have happened if the Africans had enslaved the Europeans instead of vice versa?
I think that this book sounds really interesting and I think that Sylvie did a really good job on writing this blog post!

Great job Sylie!

No comments:

Post a Comment