This short story is about a young boy named Vince. He is being bullied, taunted, and beat up by other kids his age for being gay. One day, after he got beaten up, he met his fairygodfather who showed him what the world would look like if you were able to see anyone who was gay because they were a visible shade of blue.
There was one specific part in the story that stood out to me. There was a part where Vince was watching TV, and he was watching a "notorious Repuplican Homophobe," who was in fact bright blue, himself. Vince called him a hypocrite and seemed to get really mad at him. I think that Vince has every right to get angry.
Vince is young and still trying to figure himself out, and it probably doesn't help when a congressman leader figure is out telling the world that being gay is a bad thing. especially if he himself is gay. It must make this time for Vince so much harder than it already is, if he is growing up into a world that is basically telling him that being his true, honest self is wrong. " Was I blue? The answer is slightly. When I asked Melvin to explain, he said, 'The magic eight ball says signs are mixed. In other works, you are one confused puppy. That is the way it is sometimes, you will figure it out after a while.'" He obviously hasn't figured it out yet and I would imagine it would be really stressful on him to decide what to do, or who to be.
I think that being a hypocrite is really mean, and an awful thing to be. It is one thing to let people know you are unhappy with something, but it is a whole different thing to have a belief or an opinion that you yourself cannot stay true to. I think it is a horrible thing, and probably far worse than just lying. A lyer end up just hurting themselves, but a hypocrite can actually have a large affect on someone else, just like the congressman probably had a huge affect on Vince, before Vince knew the congressman was blue.
No comments:
Post a Comment