Thursday, October 11, 2012

It's Kind of a Funny Story blog post


       I recently finished reading It’s Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini. This book is about a boy Craig Gilner, who goes to a very challenging high school in Manhattan. He seems to not be able to deal with all the work and pressure, and decides to kill himself, however on the night he had planned to do it, he decides to get help instead, and institutionalizes himself. After he is in the hospital building, he is not allowed to leave for a little under a week and he has to learn to deal with his problems within this time period.

I think that the resolution to the book fit in really well. When I started reading this book, I knew that he wouldn’t actually kill himself, but there would obviously be a lot leading up to him getting normal and stable again. By the end of the book Craig did become stable again, and it wasn’t just because he was on his medications again. I think that Ned Vizzini made the ending the way it is because it was really the only way it could have ended. If the book started off with a suicidal teen, and ended with a suicidal teen, there really wouldn’t be much character development and the story really wouldn’t be as good.
I think the theme of this book is that even when the hardest times come, you have to overcome them because out of the worst situations, something good can come out of it all. In the book, Craig says, “ Jeez, Why was I trying to kill myself?” This shows how much of a change he made from the beginning of the book where he was depressed for years and his only solution was to kill himself, to his current state of mind where all he can do is think about living and being happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment